Sunday, June 15, 2008

"How do you measure a year?" (1)

My favorite musical Rent is closing this year after a 10+ year run. My blog title, is one of the questions posed in the musical.

Thus begins one of four lists (think Leno's Top Ten). Approximately one list for every week I have left. Although, fun stuff is still happening, so I'll have to recount what's been happening in these weeks too. I'll generally add this after my lists.

Things I'm looking forward to back in America:

10. Driving
9. Having my own shower
8. A bed
7. Food (American, Mexican, Thai, Vietnamese, Indian, etc.)
6. Doing something different than this year- moving on
5. Personal space (at home, shopping, etc.)
4. Personal time (do my own thing: laundry, dishes, gym, etc.)
3. A job?! (we shall see)
2. Seeing friends, catching up, and knowing what's happening in their lives again!
1. Seeing my parents at the airport! ^^


Nothing much happened this week. I had two sets of plans for this weekend, but they both fell through- kinda disappointing and after finding out that I probably don't have that great of a chance getting a job from Korea, I was a little depressed.

I did see The Hulk on Friday night, which was really good. I've also spent most of the weekend making mini movies out of all the footage I've taken this year. (Also kinda made me a little sad/nostalgic.)

I really didn't break out my video camera until the end of my time here, which is probably a good thing, because it takes about 2 hours to actually make a movie. I'm going to need to detox from my computer when I get back home. Actually, I'm looking forward to reading a ton of books. I have a list in my head of books Id' like to read and hope to read at least 5 in the first week I'm back (no joke).

Funny story:

This week I saw my nice relaxing, quiet, personal trip to Vietnam slipping through my fingers. Nothing serious- I still have the trip booked, plane ticket, and as long as I get my passport back, I'm good to go. ^^

However, I decided to tell my host family this week that I was going to Vietnam at the end of the month. (It might seem a little late, but they tell me things last minute all the time- it was fine and actually worked in my favor.) My older host sister was around and I asked her if she could tell her parents I'm going to Vietnam. She couldn't understand my pronunciation of Vietnam and was very confused. Five minutes later, with lots of hand gestures and secondary references (can you believe I've lived here all year with this kind of communication? ^^) everyone understood that I am going to Vietnam. Then the questions started: Alone? Tour? How much? (Korean's don't have issue when talking about money.) Can Han-soong go with you?

And there was the snag. Could my 13 year old host brother go with me to Vietnam? If I wasn't so hell bent on going by myself, maybe. And, if I actually thought the kid would listen to me for 5 days straight, then yes. And, if he didn't act like the punk he's been acting*, then why not? However, I felt like I was treading in dangerous water. I didn't want to say "no" but I didn't want to say "yes" either. So, I said..."sure...but he would need a ticket, a passport, a visa, and a place in the tour and I leave in like three weeks, I think it's too late." I kept stressing the last part over and over again. However, he was really excited at the prospect of not going to school and his mother was trying to figure out where she could call for a ticket. Since the tour group was Australian, it was my job to see if he could join the tour.

Ah-ha! That was my in. I did actually call the company to see if it was still possible and there was the slightest chance (they'd need to contact the group in Vietnam and see if it was possible). However, I told a white lie to my host mom, "They can't add him to the tour- it's too late." I don't like telling lies, I don't like telling white lies, but this was clearly self preservation.

So, my trip is still a go. My host bro didn't seem bummed that he couldn't go which is a plus.

*Side note- my host brother has been really moody lately- I think his teen years have finally settled in. Actually, this weekend he was pretty good- the happy, outgoing kid he's been. I think all the school is finally getting to him- the studying and the pressure from home. He's also been getting in trouble at school and I know his friends aren't the best influence as well. He keeps telling me about one of his friends who smokes sometimes and steals things. About two weeks ago Hansoong and his friends pulled a prank at school (something pretty harmless), but he got in trouble and had to go back to school at night (I'm not sure what the punishment was). Then, last week he got into a fight at school. Supposedly another kid started it and he didn't get in trouble (from school or his mom). I just hope that next year he tests into a different middle school than his friends. He's a pretty bright kid, so I wouldn't be surprised.

-me

No comments: