Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Christmas right around the corner

Hi All,

Another late post! I have been really busy trying to wrap everything up before I leave tomorrow on winter break. I get out a week earlier than the Korean teachers which makes me feel a little guilty, but I am thankful for the break.

This past weekend I was in Gumi- volunteering at an orphanage and then went to Busan with a friend. I had a great time in both places. I'll post pictures soon!

A former ETA, started a non-profit organization to help out the orphanage where she volunteered when she was an ETA. There are several former ETAs that helped create this non-profit and this weekend was the kick-off event for the organization, called KKOM. KKOOM or "koom" means dream in Korean. Here is the link http://www.kkoom.org/
There were events planned for the kids- arts and crafts, singing, video games, picture with Santa, etc. The kids really seemed to have a good time. I spent most of Sat. cooking dinner with a few other ETAs for everyone. It was a lot of work, but fun and totally worth it. The best part was that every kid received a Christmas package (from donors in the states). The kids were so excited- it really felt like Christmas. We ended up spending the night and had breakfast with the kids the next morning and going to church with them. The ages in kids range from toddler to high school (some college kids come back too- it really is a family).

Unlike some orphanages in Korea, none of the kids were available for adoption. The kids live at the orphanage in houses with each other and form a family unit with one woman (mother/aunt) taking care of the kids. The older ones really look out for the younger ones as well. None of the parents have given up their parental rights, and some parents will even visit their children at the orphanage. This is a place where kids come when their parents cannot afford to take care of them. It is like a version of foster care in America. If you want to know more, let me know.

After Gumi I went to Busan with Alison. It was a quick bus ride (2 hours) and the weather was super nice. The first thing we went to do was go to the beach! Apparently it's pretty famous in Busan (Busan is the 2nd largest city in Korea and is the 5 largest port/trading city in the world). The city is really spread out- so the beach is nice and doesn't feel like a "city". We had Indian food (yum) and then went to Busan tower- which took a while to find! But we managed to check into a cheap hotel which was good. The view at night from Busan tower was cool- all the lights and such. It was an early night, which was nice. Then Monday morning we went shopping and to the fish market- ick! All in all a relaxing little trip.

Early Merry Christmas!!! I miss everyone lots and wish I could spend the holidays with all of you. My Christmas plans got moved around- I'm skiing for New Year's, not Christmas. I'm pretty bummed that I don't have any plans for Christmas. Hopefully something will come through.

Catch you all soon!

-me

No comments: