Tuesday, August 21, 2007

"For the Jenna!"

Hm, well it is sort of late, but I do not need to go into school tomorrow until the afternoon. So, I will write about my random-interesting day.

I got up a little before 7- around 6 (I went to bed early last night) and was officially awaked with a knock at my door at 7am. I think the family thought I had to be up that early, since I had to be at school at 8:10 am on Monday. However, I did not have to be at school until 10am. Regardless I ate breakfast with the family and then hung around until my host mother drove me to school.

I arrived at school, entered the teacher's office and awkwardly said hello to all the teachers and waited for Mr. Choi to tell me what to do (I was supposed to get my bank account- that's why I went to school this morning). Turns out he had a class then, so I went to my office and did some work (mostly chatted on g-mail and tried to figure out where I actually am). And, even though it might be a suprise, I finally figured out where I am! There are two subway lines that run through the city and I am about a 20 minute walk from the nearest stop. It is a huge relief to finally know where I am. It's such a humbling experience not to know anything about where you are and what is going on. This is also helpful since I am supposed to meet friends in Daegu for dinner on Thursday night.

Mr. Choi came back and we left for the bank- where I signed my life away on about 20 different documents. But I have a bank account and I even deposited money! Supposedly I will get paid soon- although I am unsure how much and why. Typically we don't get paid until we actually start to teach. Since I haven't started I am not sure why they are paying me. Maybe it is an advance? Some of us started teaching this week and their pay will be adjusted for the time they teach this month. But, I am happy I have a bank account- I am slowly beginning to feel like an actual member of society again. Nevertheless, the simple act of opening an account led to an interesting foray into Korean culture. It went like this:

Mr. Choi: "Jenna have you heard about the Korean custom for when a person receives their first salary?"
Jenna: "No" (shakes head)
Mr. Choi: "It is customary to give underwear to one's parents. I think, it would be a very good thing for you to do- especially for the grandma of your homestay."
Jenna: "Really?" (Tries to play it cool- although is trying not to laugh and wondering if this is a joke.)
Mr. Choi: "Yes. Traditionally the underwear is red."
Jenna: "Red? Where do I get it?" (still in disbelief)
Mr. Choi: "Hm, a store like EMart- nothing expensive" (similar to Target)
Jenna: "Okay, thanks" (Makes a mental note to ask her Korean friends about this later.)

And before this interesting conversation...was lunch! Where I proceeded to sniffle and tried not to blow my nose. We had chee-gae, which is a spicey soup with ramen, hot dog pieces, ham (spam), rice cake, cabbage- etc. It wasn't all that spicey- but you know my nose. I felt really bad, because the teachers I went with were all very sad that they had picked the restuarant. I do really like it and it wasn't all that spicey- but my nose couldn't handle it. I swear it will be the death of me in this country. It is REALLY rude to blow your nose in public (anywhere outside a bathroom- pretty much) and I just can't do it sometimes. My host family thinks I'm sick and since I have to sniffle all the time I cough too. It's an intersting situation.

So, back at school Mr. Choi and I try to set up my internet banking and it doesn't work. It looks like it will take awhile to figure it out and we decide to work on it another day. Around 3:00 I am inundated by a whole bunch of students who are curious about me. Some are brave enough to enter the office and others wait outside in the hallway. I think I get some new students because I made a few signs that say "Welcome, Please Come in! and English Zone" I also have a group of five boys that come in with Mr. Choi. They are here to clean my office. Apparently 3:00-3:20 is cleaning time and I have five boys assigned to sweep, mop, wash my windows, etc. in the office. Students in Korea, like some other Asian countries, are required to clean their classrooms, the hallways, offices, take out the trash, etc. It's a good idea that American public schools should pick up. I think it helps build pride in the school- plus it cuts down on maintence costs.

At 3:30 I have to call my host mother and the fun really begins. To begin with the call last all of 2 seconds in which she answers her phone, says "Jenna" and a few other things in Korea. I quickly gather all my things and am out the door to meet her in front of the school. From what I garnered earlier this morning I am being taken to a nearby university where my host brother takes English class. It turns out that she is trying to sign my up for Korean classes- which is great. Although there are no Korean classes available this month. I have to wait until next month and even then it is sketchy- the times might conflict with my teaching schedule. I really hope they do not, because I really do want to learn.

After that my host mother looks disappointed in not being able to help me get what I want. However, she says a few other things and the only word I pick up is "Costco" and I get the gist that we are going there. Now, Costco is a huge thing in Korea for Americans. Not that I have been missing much American food, but for most American's it's a huge treat to be able to go. It turns out that my family has a Costco card- and not only that, but my host mother is a VIP member (which I'm pretty sure just means she buys a lot- it makes sense since the family is so large). Costco is the same as it is in America- save for the different types of Korean food you can get here- although it does carry a lot of the American brands, which is why Americans love it. Now, this (seemingly) was not an ordinary Costco trip- who knows. But it turned out that we met up with a friend of my host mother, who was also doing her shopping. We shared a cart with her and I helped push- about the only useful thing I could do, inbetween being forced the sample food (not all that bad). I thought of Dad and going to Sam's club. I even took a picture with my camera phone. If I figure out how to transfer pictures onto my computer I'll post it. Now, after completing shopping (I did find one American thing I have missed- Nature Vally granola bars- the ones in the green wrappers- I was going to buy them, but my host mother bought them for me!) we went to a VIP event. Which is why we were there in the first place (I think). It was pretty much a small area of the store sectioned off where there were select items on sale and free food. Neither of the women bought anything, I really think we went just for the free food. :)

My host mother and I then picked up my host brother from English academy and drove to pick up my host father from work. I think he owns two tire factories (one in Daegu and another one somewhere else). This took awhile, but we finally got home and I go to taekwondo with my host bro. I had promised to go with him the day before- so I followed him to practice because I wanted to see him and his teacher wanted to meet me. Well, it turned out that I ended up working out! And I'm supposed to go back every Tuesday for class. I didn't pack my uniform, but now I wish I had- the school is pretty informal. Actually- it is a lot different from my old school and I don't like it all that much- but it might be another way for me to stay active. Besides it is good hang out time with Han Soong. We'll see what happens!

Ah- after taekwondo we went home- I had ten minutes to relax and then we were off again with his parents to get beer. We waited for a long time at the table and I was wondering what was wrong- why we didn't just order. However, it turns out we were meeting friends at the bar. The same woman who I met at Costco and her husband (who is a Korean doctor- I'm not sure what that means). They were very nice and the husband kept trying to speak in English- he was okay...he didn't know a whole lot, but his pronuciation was okay. This is where the subject of the post comes from- everyone was trying to figure out how people toast in America. I taught them "cheers" and they started saying "For Jenna!", which devolved into "For the Jenna!" and finally evolved into "to Jenna!" I could not stop laughing. Thankfully my host bro was there and helped translate. I was able to talk a little more about myself, America, and other people on our program with the family in a relaxed atmopshere- it was nice.

After that we went to norebang (singing room/kareoke). Where everyone sang- and I had to sing songs in English- which was a big hit. I sang "Bye, Bye, Bye, Hotel California, Yesterday, Build Me Up Buttercup, and Dancing Queen" Not my top picksm but I tried to pick songs and everyone helped me that they knew. Most host mom and dad are pretty good singers and everyone had a good time. Finally after an hour of that we came home. I played some cards with Han Soong and now I am blogging. It was an increadibly long day! I had no idea that so many random things would happen!

Overall I felt like today was pretty good. I'm getting to know the family a little better. Shopping helped today with getting to know my host mother a bit more. Taekwondo- although unprepared as I was for it, helped me get to know my host bro more, and going out for beer and singing helped be get some face time in with my host father. I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings!

-Jenna

P.S. I have a cell phone and a bank account. I have friends' cell phone numbers and I know where I am. The only thing left I really need is internet- which hopefully will be set up tomorrow at 5:00pm. Then, I will be a full-fledged member of society again!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow Jenna, i'm glad that you convinced your host family that they should be cheering for you! hahaha =P maybe that can be passed down to our Big Red club eh??/ hahaha Sounds like a fun day...and i should be asleep already. i had told myself to be in bed before 1 and it didn't work...oh wells. I have a long day tomorrow so i'm going now. glad you had an interesting day and know where you are. i'll come and visit some time soon i think. talk to ya laterz. ByE

Didactic Dad said...

That was, er, detailed. lol j/k Like I have room to talk.

Anyway, gratz.

Anonymous said...

I think you should send ME red underwear when you get your first paycheck!!