Friday, August 17, 2007

Daegu!

Hi everyone!

I arrived safely last night around 8 o'clock. My host family is very nice! My cooperating teacher is also very nice and he stayed to talk and eat fruit with the family when I arrived. The family really wants me to feel like this is my home, which is great. I was told I could eat anything in the fridge and even cook my own food (which seems to be pretty unique). They cut up fresh fruit when I came and showed me around the apartment. It is really nice, pretty spacious. I actually am kicking out the youngest sister from her room- she will live with her grandmother while I am here. The girls seem nice, but weren't all that interested in me. The boy however is very good in english and is a huge help already. He also seems very excited to teach me things- which is great. Last night the girls left at 9 to go to an academy to study! They won't come back until 12! The boy is on vacation now, so I think I'll spend more time with him. However, as the girls were leaving they said a few things to me. As soon as my cooperating teacher left, my host mom took me to get a gym membership (which she paid for) and to show me where the closest grocery store is. Both are very close- in the apartment complex.

When I got in last night they showed me my room and there was a stone bed (a slab of marble) for me to sleep on! My co-teacher was very concerned for me and the mother, father, sister, and my co-teacher dragged the thing out of my room and put it into the master bedroom. I will sleep on the floor for about a week until a bed arrives (the host mom ordered it last night!). It is really generous of them and even though I explained I could sleep on the floor they insisted on getting me a bed. I slept pretty well last night.

I woke up this morning and met my co-teacher and he showed me his office and introuced me to a lot of teachers in the school. I also got to see my office, which is really nice- I have it all to myself- kind of unusual. I also got to meet the principal and met some students. The school is only 4 years old- it has 6 floors. My office is on the third floor and the majority of the classrooms I will teach in are on the third floor. The other classrooms are on the second floor (teachers move from class to class, rather than the students). The school is a little further away than originally thought- about 15-20 minute walk from the apt. I think my daily schedule will look like this (at least for now): health club (work out) in the morning myabe around 7, then eat breakfast and walk to school. Come home from school and hopefullly take language classes and/or volunteer.

My school schedule looks like this ( I think it could change, but hopefully it will stay like this):
Monday I teach class number 4 from 9:30-10:20, class number 7 from 10:30-11:20, class number 3 from 1:20-2:10, and class nunber 2 from 3:30-4:20. There is an hour break for lunch (12:20-1:20) and apparently teachers eat in the cafeteria with students.
Tuesday I teach class number 5 from 10:30-11:20 and class number 8 from 1:20-2:10. Wednesday I teach class number 11 from 3:30-4:20.
Thursday I teach class number 12 from 8:30-9:20, class number 1 from 9:30-10:20, class number 6 from 1:20-2:10, class number 10 from 2:20-3:10, and class number 9 from 3:30-4:20! Thursday is my busiest day!
Friday- no class!

My schedule is amazing! Technically I will only be teaching 12 hours a week! There are only 12 classes for the freshman (first grade class) and I will teach the entire first grade class (40 students per class)! I am so happy that I have Fridays off- I cannot believe it. I have already agreed to teach an additional language class (two times a week) since they were so great about my schedule. It also looks like I will be teaching a teachers class too- but that could change.

I have to go to the teachers staff meeting this monday at 8:10, but I do not start teaching for a week! I am so thankful, because I feel like I have a lot to prepare. But I am confident that a week will, be plenty. It's also nice to be able to settle in. There is still a lot I need to learn (like how to do my laundry!). Also, I think I will get my cell phone set up this monday and a bank account. I still have to unpack and work on an introduction (in Korean) for the staff meeting. As soon as I can take pictuers of the apartment and my school I will let you know and post them!

Thank you so much for all your support and prayers! I really felt comfortable during the move and feel very comfortable at my homestay- even though I don't know what is happening 99% of the time. I really cannot imagine a better homestay or school- God is so faithful!

Love,

Jenna


P.S. Please excuse my deteriorating English. I fear that the longer I stay in Korea and the less exposure I have to native speakers the faster my English will disappear! I have heard from past program participants that this happens, also that they tend to speak very slowly (especially when they have to explain things) and that they use a lot more body lanaguge when communicating!

No comments: