Sunday, May 25, 2008

FTA, Busan and Bigbang

Hi All,

Yes, I have been remiss in my blogging the past several weeks. It isn't because I have been terribly busy, rather it is the fact that there just isn't much happening. The year is winding down and I am taking it slow. I hope everyone is having a good Memorial Day weekend back in the states.

I'm not sure if it has made the news a lot, but for the past three weeks or so, American beef has been a huge issue in SoKo. Korean's don't want American beef. The reason is simple- mad cow disease. As I stated, the reason is simple- I didn't say it made sense or was justifiable. The media here- along with leftist politicians and celebrities have vilified American beef making the general Korean public scared out of their minds. Special reports on American beef have told horror stories about mad cow incidents in America, have presented irrefutable evidence that Koreans are genetically more susceptible to mad cow than any other "race", etc. This has led to many protests- national and local (see my picture from Daegu) against American beef and thus the FTA with America. Thankfully, it seems that the fervor this issue had about three weeks ago is beginning to cool. I haven't heard of any more candle light vigils or petitions.

Last weekend I was in Busan (see Around Korea) celebrating two of my friends' birthdays. I spent Friday and Saturday afternoon on the beach- it was great!

This weekend two other friends came into Daegu and we went to the Bigbang concert. Bigbang is a very popular boy band (think nsync). The concert was pretty good and it was an interesting cultural experience. To begin with, the concert was held in a convention center- on the fifth floor. Plastic patio furniture chairs were set up in the hall for seating. Security guards spent the majority of the concert trying to get screaming adolescents to sit in the chairs. Since there wasn't stadium seating they wanted to ensure everyone could see- even though they couldn't. Security checked everyone's bags before entering the hall- cameras had to be left outside (they were checking them in little plastic bags) and no, you couldn't take pictures with your cell phones. The whole evening was a bit ridiculous! Although, it was a good time.

I think some friends will be in town next weekend- I hope so. In two weeks I'm going to Seoul and then at the end of June I'm taking a vacation to Vietnam! Then, I fly home towards the end of July- difficult to believe!

I've been applying for jobs like crazy, but haven't heard anything. Please keep this in your thoughts!

-me ^^

No comments: