Monday, October 1, 2007

"Front hair teacher!"

So, I missed the Sunday update by one or two days, depending on how you look at it. Here's a brief update on what I've been up to and what's happening in the future.

Chuseok was nice- I met more of the family and even if I didn't talk to 99 percent of them, it was nice to see how they all get along. They do seem to be a pretty well funtioning group and it was nice to go to the countryside- really pretty. I did not want to go at first, because I thought I would be bored out of my mind. But I enjoyed the time. It really was the country and I think one of the only places in Korea where I didn't have cell phone reception! I told some of my students that yesterday and they looked horrified. :)

I got to see some friends the end of last week and that was nice. I missed going to Andong to the mask festival with them because I had to give a test for my program. I made some cash, but generally was disappointed that I had to miss out on the fun. Although, I am going to Andong tomorrow with three/four teachers from my school. I think it will be nice to go with them, since I like them and I think it will be an interesting perspective going with Koreans. Plus, two of the teachers are bringing their daughters and I love little kids!

Sunday was relaxing and I got to check out an English service- which was great. It turns out I knew the gu y that was speaking. He works at Yeungam University where I am taking Korean language class. I met some other foreigners and hopefully it will be a place where I can make Korean friends too. I met another American who teaches at a DOD school- which is pretty interesting, so I can't wait to talk to her more.

I also baked a cake with my host sister Sunday night for her mom's birthday, which is really Wednesday, but we celebrated last night. I bought flowers and it was my job to finish decorating the cake. I'll put a picture up here soon. It turned out really pretty- but did not taste very good at all! It was way too dense!

Tomorrow is the trip to Andong and this Friday is lunch with teh English teachers and then a trip somewhere. I'm not sure where. But they're excited because the students have midterms, so they get out early and all the first year English teachers are doing something special. Then Saturday I am going to head up to Wonju to hang out with some friends and I think I'll come back Sunday or Monday- I'm not sure which. I might have a chance to see another friend, but we'll see. Then in two weeks I have the Fall conferene for our program! I feel really busy, but am excited to see friends and some more of Korea.

Okay a few funny conversations I've had surrounding the fact that I got my haircut last night and now have bangs!!! (Don't worry, I didn't get anything else done.) I've wanted bangs for a while since I've been in Korea. I think it looks super cute and was really excited!

My older host sister, "Jenna! Bangs, look better with not having bangs."
Me, "What? You like the bangs?"
Older host sister, "Yes, look better with bangs than without."
(And I trust her opinion, since she's the one that called me fat last time!)

Teacher, "You look different today- you're wearing glasses!"
Me, "Uh...I wear glasses everyday..."
Teacher, "But you look different..."
Me, "Bangs?"
Teacher, "Oh! They look good!"

Another teacher, "I was wondering what looked different, but it's bangs, right?"
Me, "Yes"
Another teacher, "cute"

Students, "Front hair!!"
Me, "Bangs"
Students, "Looks good!" "Very pretty" "Teacher, beautiful!" "Look younger!"

-me :)

P.S. I'll post a picture of the new look as soon as I get one!

No comments: